The Shop at Old Austerlitz

It has been a while since I've posted, and it has been a very busy summer so far. One of the projects I have been working on is The Shop at Old Austerlitz for the Austerlitz Historical Society . The Society operates a beautiful property in Columbia County, New York and this is the first actual shop they have opened on the property. So I thought I'd give you a tour, and an example of what can be done with very little money, some good volunteers, and a bit of creativity.

The Best Design Investment You'll Ever Make: The Museum Style Pedestal!


It really is like magic, the simple and rather humble art pedestal can give any room an instant dose of chic and sophistication. If you have a spectacular piece of art--wonderful, but I have even placed a few stacked cans (a la Warhol), an unusual teapot, and even an old milliner's form on my pedestals, and they always look great. Anything on a simple art pedestal assumes an importance -- indeed, anything can be art. The best part is that it works in any style home -- as long as you keep it simple.




NY home of Mark and Renee Rockefeller



The farm house
If you do a quick internet search you will discover that most pre-made pedestals are hideously over-designed and over-priced. We had a local carpenter construct a few and I painted them to match the walls. White or black usually works best.






Comments