The Shop at Old Austerlitz

It has been a while since I've posted, and it has been a very busy summer so far. One of the projects I have been working on is The Shop at Old Austerlitz for the Austerlitz Historical Society . The Society operates a beautiful property in Columbia County, New York and this is the first actual shop they have opened on the property. So I thought I'd give you a tour, and an example of what can be done with very little money, some good volunteers, and a bit of creativity.

Chic Things: VITRINE TABLES

This Dutch museum vitrine table/cabinet is the largest I've ever seen. I suspect that everything I own could fit under that glass!

Now that most people prefer a cleaner (meaning less cluttered) look in their homes, what does one do with all the little treasures collected over the years? The French had this problem solved centuries ago--the vitrine table (also called bijouterie, curio or collector's table). I don't know whether the French invented the concept, but they certainly excelled at all things vitrine.




I particularly love the idea of an antique French vitrine table in a sleek minimalist room; the table itself becomes a work of art. In my view, there is nothing worse than a contemporary room with no evidence of the past. (I could say the same thing about a traditional room with no evidence of the present.) Here are a few more examples of French vitrine tables:







Of course, there are also English, Italian, German, Early American, as well as, modernist and contemporary versions. 











This table is from Anthropologie.



There are also simple cube vitrine tables made of glass or acrylic. Years ago, I had two acrylic vitrines made for my own home. We use them to display hats! (we change the hats seasonally).



What does one put in a vitrine table? Anything one wants. One of the more interesting things I have seen was a display of some very small notepad drawings done by artist Carroll Dunham. The little sketches were simply placed on the table top below the glass, and they looked so chic all lined up. Any collection would work; Victorian silver utensils (see previous post), cut glass, snuff boxes, rocks, shells--anything!


Artists have used vitrine tables for years.


Here, the theme is all things white.

These items would look great in a vitrine table.




Finally, somewhere to put all of those graters!



The best thing about Vitrine Tables? Minimal dusting.



Comments

  1. I googled "jewelry boxes" and happily, down the rabbit hole I went (you know how it is), and now I am ogling collector's tables. Twenty minutes ago, I'd never even heard of a vitrine, but I suddenly really want one. Thank you for this informative and visually pleasing post! I like your blog too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment