The Shop at Old Austerlitz

It has been a while since I've posted, and it has been a very busy summer so far. One of the projects I have been working on is The Shop at Old Austerlitz for the Austerlitz Historical Society . The Society operates a beautiful property in Columbia County, New York and this is the first actual shop they have opened on the property. So I thought I'd give you a tour, and an example of what can be done with very little money, some good volunteers, and a bit of creativity.

4 Interior Design Ideas I Love



Don't you just hate these "seven steps...seven trends...seven ideas" stories? I fall for it every time, and I am inevitably disappointed. I will try not to disappoint, and even if I do, at least I've cut it down to four!

#1. LEOPARD PRINT STOOLS
I know, I know, animal prints are done to death. In moderation, which is why I love the stools, they are so very chic. Classics never go out-of-style (they just need a touch-up, now and then). It's like a woman dressed all in black with that final surprise, leopard print stilettos;  elegant restraint, with a touch of glamour. Everyone needs a little Diana Vreeland moment.








#2. Writing Desks at the Right Angle

I love a beautiful writing desk in the living/sitting room or library. They can be very convenient and make it more likely that you will actually write that hand-written note. The trick is in the placement; flat against the wall can be rather dull (though sometimes the only option), freestanding (not against any wall) is good, but narrow-end against the wall with space on either side is chic. I don't know why this is, but it is. Here take a look:





I believe this room belongs to Jean-Louis Deniot.



#3. French Ormolu Clocks
I adore these clocks, particularly French Empire. Many folks believe that you must have formal French décor to include such a piece; they're too French. They forget that Thomas Jefferson had one made for him, and you cannot get more American than that. Personally, I love a French ormolu clock with contemporary décor; unexpected and always stunning. (Of course, there is that cost thing.)


Thomas Jefferson's Louis Moinet Clock






#4. The Cozy Nook or Alcove
I was looking at the following photo of a Roman & Williams designed space--the Paris brasserie, La Rotonde de la Muette--and I knew that I wanted to eat in that little alcove. There is just something warm and magical about slightly enclosed spaces whether they be banquettes, reading nooks, or sleeping alcoves. 
As I write this, there is a snow storm raging outside--but that's okay, I'm in my warm little writing nook (a cocktail also helps).










Comments