The Shop at Old Austerlitz

It has been a while since I've posted, and it has been a very busy summer so far. One of the projects I have been working on is The Shop at Old Austerlitz for the Austerlitz Historical Society . The Society operates a beautiful property in Columbia County, New York and this is the first actual shop they have opened on the property. So I thought I'd give you a tour, and an example of what can be done with very little money, some good volunteers, and a bit of creativity.

Hats as Design Inspiration

Paul Gauguin once described Edgar Degas as someone who "dared to go into ecstasies in front of the milliners' shops." Approximately 27 of Degas paintings reflected his love of hats. I understand the feeling. I have always loved hats, both men's and women's hats; somehow they provide me with great design inspiration. Sadly, the ubiquitous baseball cap is mostly what we see these days. At it's height in the late 1800's, Paris boasted more than a thousand milliner's; I hate to think what the number is today. Thanks to the royal family and Ascot, London seems to be the hat capital today, but there are pockets of milliners all over the world. Here are a few that I find really interesting:

This is from Valeria Fazekas in Budapest. I just love the intriguing protuberances!

Another version.


This photo (and the next two) are from Virag Ildiko Erdei also from Budapest--which is quite the  happening place at the moment.



This is Philip Treacy of London, a more interesting baseball cap!

Molly Yestadt of New York.

Noel Stewart, London

Plastic hats by Chanel, Paris.

Rachel Trevor Morgan, London. She's been supplying the Queen (and other family members) since 2006 and received a Royal Warrant in 2014.

Laura Apsit Livens, London.


Comments